Tuesday, January 13, 2009

When Busy....



Sometimes life passes faster then we expect. I remember when I was in high school people would say, "if I could go back, I would do this or that, so you should do it". I know they were trying to give me those jewels of wisdom that they wished they had known when they were my age. I don't know if it's a sign of my age (with 30 quickly approaching), but I find myself giving that same bits of wisdom. I found this poem that really touched my heart and really made me think about the little choices I make throughout the day.

My Hands Were Busy

My hands were busy throughout the day
I didn't have much time to play
The little games you asked me to.
I didn't have much time for you.
I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook,
But when you'd bring your picture book
And ask me please to share your fun,
I'd say: "A little later, son."
I'd tuck you in all safe at night
And hear your prayers, turn out the light,
Then tiptoe softly to the door...
I wished I'd stayed a minute more.
For time is short, the years rush past...
A little boy grows up so fast.
No longer is he at your side,
His precious secrets to confide.
The picture books are put away,
There are no longer games to play,
No goodnight kiss, no prayers to hear...
That all belongs to yesteryear.
My hands, once busy, now are still.
The days are long and hard to fill.
I wish I could go back and do
The little things you asked me to.

Author Unknown

6 comments:

Rosa said...

wow -- that is so true!! It will make think twice when I tell Liv my line -- "hold on a minute" -- i usually say hoping she will forget. but it will be sad one day when all the toys will no longer cover my house -- i won't have to constantly be cleaning up after someone! Thanks I needed to read that!!!

Brits said...

I just read a similar poem on a friend's blog:

A MOTHER'S MIDNIGHT PRAYER

Help me remember,
when I feel it’s a chore,
The time will come
when I will hold him no more.
Asleep on my chest,
the crib refused,
The blanket, the pacifier,
gone unused.
What better place is there
to lay his head,
Than against my heart,
my arms his bed?
For infants grow up
and leave us behind
With only memories
left to remind,
Of midnight waking
and predawn rocking,
Of soft helpless babies
unable to sleep.
So, make me patient
and keep me awake,
While I cradle this child,
and don’t let me take,
For granted the moments
I spend in the night
With this baby, a gift,
my joy, my delight!

lynsey said...

so sweet! i'm going to go hang out with my son now and get off the computer! :)

your kids look so cute & great job with the kitchen & bathroom remodeling. that's hard work!

Shirley said...

Print that and put it on the fridge, read it everyday and take it to heart. Time goes by way to quickly and they will be all grown up before you know it and then you will have all the time in the world to clean the house!

Mindy said...

I feel like we don't even know Reeve and it makes me so sad! :( We were aiming for the best aunt and uncle and not sure how that is going to happen. We miss you guys a ton! Also I love your new kitchen, Dave did a really good job.

Pistolmom said...

www.mytitleofliberty.blogspot.com
LDS view
www.freedoms-fight.blogspot.com